German Riesling



German Riesling is my favorite white wine, I will always have a spot in my heart for white burgundy but I can afford to drink much more prestigious vineyard sites from more prestigious winemakers. That and that an off dry lower alcohol wine is conducive to getting up earlier in the morning and having a life outside of work (I close the liquor store I work at). In this video I talk about the german ripeness classifications that appear on wine bottles. There are two broad categories (qualitatswein, and pradikatswein) qualitatswein is wine where sugar can be added to the unfermented grape juice to increase potential alcohol, and pradikatswein cannot have added sugar. There are great examples from both categories of wine.

Pradikatswein is further divided into sub categories: Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese, Beerenauslese, Trockenbeerenauslese. These categories correspond to the amount of sugar present in the grapes at harvest and also the harvest procedures. Kabinett, Spatlese, and Auslese can be dry wines though dry Auslese wines are uncommon. Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese are dessert wines, Trockenbeerenauslese wines typically are effected by noble rot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brandywine Creek in Wilmington

The Maconnaise

The Wines and Domaines of France by Clive Coates MW