Professional Certifications are they worth it in the Liquor Business?


This is a question I often spend time thinking about, having spent something like six hundred dollars on my various lapel pins occasionally I am up late at night thinking was it worth it. I think it was worth it, I know for a fact that I get interviews based on my experience and those certifications where I might not get those interviews without the certifications. I also know that I am the only person in the (very small) state of Delaware that directly interacts with the public with an advanced award from WSET. That translates into a lot of confidence on the sales floor and I think it really helps me sell the super premium and luxury bottles in my store.

If you are a liquor industry professional and are considering taking the tests with your own money the advice I want to give you is to know what you are going to be using the credentials for, if you just want a shiny lapel pin unless the money doesn't matter to you then I would skip it. I got the credentials knowing that I would feature them prominently in my resumes that I was sending out to various wholesalers in my region. If you lack a concrete plan on how to use the credentials that is what I would spend my time trying to figure out before plunking down the coin to take the tests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brandywine Creek in Wilmington

The Maconnaise

The Wines and Domaines of France by Clive Coates MW